For you to maximise the use of your Android device, you need to add a Google Account or Gmail account. Yes, you can do all the basic stuffs with your new phone or tab without adding a Google Account, but you would not be able to use services like maps, youtube, gmail or even installing applications from the Google Play store without a Google Account on your phone. Actually, the device prompts you to do this the first time you turn it on, but if for any reason you skipped it during the initial set-up, you can always go back to get it done.
To add a Google Account to your Android device, follow the steps below
- Go to “Settings“. (Yes, you have to come here almost all the time 😉 🙂 )
- Go to “Accounts” (If your “Settings” menu is categorized into tabs, you would find “Accounts” under the “General” tab).
- Select the “Add Account” option.
- Select “Google” on the next screen.
- If you have an existing gmail account that you have been using before, select the “Existing” option. However, if you do not have any previous gmail account (or Google Apps account), select the “New” option.
- Simply fill in all the requested data and tap the “Next” button to go through all the screens.
Once you complete the process. Voila! You have your Google account configured on your device. So, you can now enjoy all the Google services available on your device.